Protecting innovation since 1912
BARBAT is a national law firm, dedicated exclusively to Intellectual Property assistance, highly regarded in Argentina.
Our goal, over these 111 years, has been to adequately protect our client´s innovations within the appropriate legal frame, ensuring them exclusive rights over their creativity and contributing to their growth in business.
The fifth generation.
The firm conventionally established that its activities had begun on December 12th, 1912, coincidental with the registration date of the first trademark handled by the firm, “La Favorita”. However recent investigation indicates that the activity began as far back as 1905.
In spite of the scarce documented information we have on the founders, we know that both Isidoro Barbat and his son Hernan Barbat, led the firm between 1912 and 1945 with vision, honesty and great effort.
From then on Isidoro Hernan Barbat, son of Hernan Barbat, took over the responsibility of the firm. Having graduated as a lawyer in Argentina, he became a leader in litigation in the field of Patents and Trademarks; he presided over the Association of Industrial Property Agents during many years and was one of the main drafters of the Industrial Models and Designs Act in Argentina, currently in force.
Thanks to the fruitful work of Isidoro Hernan Barbat, the firm built its present recognized reputation. His honest and sincere approach to clients, his passion for Intellectual Property, his friendly relationship with people, including his sense of humour, have been a source of permanent inspiration for those presently involved in directing the firm.
The firm which has continued to progress in expertise still maintains the family presence within: Isidoro Hernan’s wife Marta C. de Barbat, his daughter Matty Barbat and son in law Tony Ferguson, and their respective sons are all actively involved in the firm, thus continuing the tradition in the fifth generation.
Intellectual Property is the legal frame that offers protection to human inventive and creativity.
Our firm has technical, administrative and legal expertise in all legal areas of Intellectual Property in order to ensure:
- Accurate determination of the required form of protection needed.
- Knowledge and efficiency in the administrative proceedings to request and obtain the corresponding granted certificate of protection (exclusive right).
- Capability and resolution necessary to solve disputes (both in and out of court) with third parties on the grounds of infringement or misappropriation of rights.
- Experience in drafting and negotiating license agreements, technology transfer agreements, scientific collaboration agreements, assignment of Intellectual Property registered rights, confidentiality agreements.
Trademarks, Patents, Utility Models, Industrial Designs, Domain Names and Copyright are the most usual legal forms that protect the owner’s exclusivity in accordance to a given type of innovation or artistic work.
OBTAINING IP RIGHTS
- UTILITY MODELS
- INDUSTRIAL MODELS & DESIGNS
- PLANT BREEDER´S RIGHTS
- DOMAIN NAMES
- SOFTWARE PROTECTION
- Industrial Property Contracts
- Authors Rights & Neighboring Rights Contracts
- Entertainment Industry Agreements
- Confidentiality Agreements
- Trade Secrets
- LITIGATION: LEGAL DEFENSE, LAWSUITS
- MEDIATION HEARINGS AND JUDICIAL AND EXTRAJUDICIAL ACTIONS
- OPOSITIONS AND DENIALS